St. Maarten Medical Center (SMMC) will be hosting a series of academic lectures. The lectures will be held on two separate dates, Saturday November 24th, and Saturday December 1st, 2018. The lectures were developed by the medical specialists of the hospital to further educate persons in the community.
“The medical specialists of SMMC wanted to reach out to the public to promote health awareness within our communities and thus making the first steps toward disease prevention”, explains Dr A. Jurgensen, secretary of the Medical Staff Board. “Collectively, the medical specialists decided the best way to do so is through educational lectures where the general public can attend”.
The lectures will be held at the hospital, within the courtyard, from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. Six specialists will each deliver a presentation through individual 45 minute intervals.
On Saturday November 24th the lectures will cover the following topics:
- “Too much noise” by Dr. M. Vaartjes, Otolaryngologist (E.N.T.).
- "Family matters" by Dr. C. Ferero, Psychiatrist.
- “Painless labour” by Dr. Y. George, Anesthesiologist.
- "Why do I not get pregnant," by Dr. P. Roumans, Obstetrician & Gynecologist.
- “Asthma, myths and facts” by Dr. T. Morvan, Pediatrician.
- "Eczema" by Dr. F. Valverde, Dermatologist.
On Saturday December 1st the lectures will cover the following topics:
- “Enlarged heart” by Dr. E. Bird, Cardiologist.
- "Can we prevent strokes" by Dr. G. van Essen, Internist.
- “The diabetic foot in St. Maarten” by Dr. l. Mercelina, General Surgeon.
- "A large prostate" by Dr. D. Ramos, Urologist.
- “Disturbed vision, common causes” by Dr. J. Pawiroredjo, Ophthalmologist.
- "Breast imaging," by Dr. A. Brice, Radiologist.
For more information about the lectures please visit the SMMC Facebook page: www.facebook.com/StMaartenMedicalCenter.