The St. Maarten Medical Center Education Department guarantees a ‘well rounded’ practical training that is designed to meet the students’ personal and social expectations, which in return will allow them to achieve their educational goals in a meaningful manner.
Through the internship program, the education department trains an average of one hundred students each year, from St. Maarten, Saba, St Eustatius, Curacao and the Netherlands.
The internship program of the education department offers practical training to secondary school/college/university students and students of vocational training.
The program is intended to be an opportunity for students to:
1. Gain practical knowledge and skills in their prospective fields.
2. Experience the link between real world experiences in their field of choice and principles learnt in the classroom.
After the completion of the internship program, the intern should be able to have:
- Built hands on experience in the field that he/she wants to work in after graduation.
- Built on what he/she already knows and has done well in class work.
- Built on what he/she already likes to do and wants to do more of ‘it’.
- Built more confidence that he/she can do the work professionally and eventually be paid for it in the future.
- Built their understanding and appreciation for those persons who work in the hospital.